Living a calm and productive life in the Philippines since October 2018. Prior to that, I was based in New York for almost a decade.
I still think about the city everyday. I miss it a lot. I’d love to visit soon.
After doing product work for media companies in the past six years with News Deeply and Cignal TV, I’m currently doing innovation work for the Palawan Pawnshop Group, the Philippines’ leading non-bank financial services provider. Fintech is fun.
As for my side projects, Slavatar remains. It will actually end up paying for all of my failed (but worth it) experiments. Not bad for a thousand dollar investment I made all the way back in 2015. Still thinking of what to experiment on next. I like information products.
I still maintain a nano-consulting practice with Southpaw Labs LLC. I still have a few clients on retainer. It’s pretty much on autopilot these days.
In lockdown mode since March 12, 2020. More than a year has passed and we’re living the “new normal” as if it’s…normal. I’m thankful to spend a lot of quality time with my family (and we remain COVID-free). Homeschooling is hard. Dealing with the new normal is hard. Maybe reacquainting ourselves with the “normal” is going to be just as hard.
I can’t wait for this whole thing be over.
Fully vaccinated. But with the Delta variant around, I’m keeping my mask on (and remain generally antisocial).
I love cardio. I run an average of twenty five kilometers and bike a hundred kilometers a week (up until I fell off the bike, forcing me to go on an indefinite hiatus). I love my All-City Space Horse. Zwift is also fun.
I’m currently obsessed with the following:
- (Casual) Databases and next-generation note taking apps – I have a pretty nifty setup in Notion where my personal dashboards, notes and trackers exist. I love how these things are good enough to replace software you used to pay for. I also maintain a couple of systems in Airtable.
- Revenue Exploration Studios – I like the idea of institutionalized innovation. I read Prehype’s “Acorn Method” book and loved it so much. It’s so good to see my current job through these lens.
- Gunpla – Very random. This is my therapy.
- Bikes! – Cycling gave me an excuse to bring myself to places I would typically ignore. Since picking up cycling in September of 2020, a lot of things are new again. I can’t wait to get my hands on my Serotta, coming this November.
- Range-free cooking – I’ve made so many meals using an instant pot and finishing them off in an oven toaster. This has been such a game-changer for me. I love pressurecookrecipes.com’s recipe for Siu Yuk and Pork Ribs.
I still do the following:
Record all my exercises in Strava, log food in MyFitnessPal, scrobble music in Last.FM, track app usage in Rescuetime, checkin in Foursquare and tally finances in Moneywell. I review most of my data in Gyroscope. I also push the limits of “al dente” in our weeknight dinners. I recently cracked the secret to crispy pork belly skin (baking powder and an over toaster – see above).
Keeping up with my Goodreads reading quota. I recently enjoyed Rob Penn’s “It’s All About The Bike”, Tamara Shopsin’s “Arbitrary Stupid Goal” and Michelle Zauner’s “Crying in H Mart” and Matt Alt’s “Pure Invention”.
Writing at least 700 words a day on the DayOne app.
I’m curious about:
Importation and trading, central bank digital currencies, newsletters, mirrorless cameras.